TrainWorks for Kids
Kids will find plenty to do at Trainworks - its the perfect Day Out!
Trainworks is located 90 kilometres south of Sydney and is one of the biggest train and rail attractions in the southern hemisphere!
Located on 5 hectares in the village of Thirlmere, Trainworks boasts a range of Steam Engines, Carriages and Rolling Stock from the 1800s and 1900s. We also run regular events including Thomas the Tank Engine Days, Steam Train Rides, Vintage Train Days, Special Events such as Santa's Steam Train at Christmas and also provide venue hire for functions.
Designed with families in mind and open 7 days a week, Trainworks is the perfect weekday or weekend activity and destination for the kids and family.
Scroll down to read more, visit our Location page for detailed directions and information on getting to Train Works by car or public transport, or view our upcoming events on the Events page.
If you have any questions or queries, don't hesitate to call us on 02 4681 8001 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd prefer.
Some of the activities kids can enjoy at Train Works:
- Experience a real steam or diesel train ride*
- Run, jump, spin and climb in our playground which features an amazing 7-metre high climbing frame
- Climb into the cab of an old steam locomotive
- Operate the Steam Machine to learn how steam power works
- Watch the live action of the working turntable
- View behind-the-scenes maintenance and conservation of the heritage fleet in the roundhouse
- Explore inside some of our special-purpose carriages such as the mail van, sleeping and dining cars
- Enjoy the sound and light show which tells the story of loco 1021
- Feel what it was like for prisoners inside the prison van with our interactive display
- Marvel at elegant engineering and craftsmanship
- Hear the hustle and bustle, puff and chug of a steam-era train station
- Learn about some of the most interesting jobs on the railways
- Meet some of our heroes and legends in the Great Train Hall
*Train rides operate on selected weekends each month and during special events.
Birthday Parties & Special Events
Trainworks is available to hire for birthday parties and other special events. For detailed information on what's possible and required for BIRTHDAY PARTIES call us! 02 4681 8001
Picnics & BBQsWith over 10,000 square meters of lawns, Trainworks is the perfect place to have a picnic. Grab a delicious sandwich from our cafe or use the barbeque facilities to cook your own hot lunch.
Opening Hours - 7 Days a Week
Trainworks is open 7 days a week.
Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm
Saturday and Sunday 9am - 5pm
Trainworks offers a program of activities and events on School Holidays to keep kids and grown-ups entertained! For details on upcoming events visit our Events page.
For more information call us on 02 4683 6800 or email email@example.com
We're located at 10 Barbour Road in Thirlmere - about 90 minutes south of Sydney.